Working to help change lives
Castle Craig is always looking for talented individuals to join our dedicated team of professionals, who are passionate about helping our private and NHS and international patients recover from alcoholism, drug abuse and other mental health conditions.
Passionate about Mental Health
Since 1988 we have grown into the largest employer in the local area, with a team of highly experienced and compassionate staff. We are a family-run business and committed to the well-being of our staff and the treatment and recovery of our patients.
Proud of our Team
Castle Craig has a high staff retention rate and we are proud of the commitment that our employees show to us and our patients. We believe that this is due to:
- Our reputation as a leader in the field of chemical dependency,
- Our family atmosphere,
- The inspirational results our staff see from the patients,
- The encouragement and support we give to our staff in gaining further professional qualifications.
If you want to become a part of our team then look at the section below to see if any current vacancies apply to you.
We are seeking enthusiastic Addiction Therapists to join our dedicated therapy team at Castle Craig Hospital. Castle Craig is a unique place to work where you will have the support of a strong team and opportunities for professional development. You will operate within a multidisciplinary team of doctors and nurses.
A Degree or Diploma in counselling or Psychology is preferred, as is training or experience of 12 step facilitation or CBT. Certification as a Drug and Alcohol Counsellor with IC&RC or FDAP is preferred or you should be ready to work towards accreditation.
Duties and responsibilities include assessment and individualised treatment planning. Individual and Group therapy.
Successful candidates will also be expected to co-ordinate all aspects of therapeutic care for patients including follow up with referral sources.
Further training opportunities are provided. Salary depends on qualifications, experience and salary grade band.
Castle Craig Hospital is a centre of excellence for the treatment of addictive diseases, located in the Scottish Borders within a 30 minute commute to Edinburgh. We are leaders in the UK and European Rehab field, treating up to 80 patients at any time, with our Smarmore Castle Clinic in Ireland treating up to 22 patients. We also have clinics and networks in the Netherlands, Sweden and France.
Hours of Work: Full time – 37.5 hours per week
Accountable to: The Medical Director / Hospital Manager
Reporting to: The Head Nurse
To be responsible for the assessment of the care needs of patients and the development, implementation, and evaluation of care plans under the direction of the Head Nurse, thereby ensuring that a high standard of care is delivered.
- Maintain current registration as a nurse with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC).
- Practice within the framework of the NMC Code of Professional Practice.
- Maintain Continual Professional Development (CPD) and satisfy the NMC’s requirements in relation to Post-registration Education and Practice (PREP).
- Maintain confidentiality as set out in Castle Craig Hospital’s Confidentiality Procedure.
- Ensure that nursing care is delivered in accordance with Castle Craig Hospital’s policies and procedures.
- Be involved in the setting and maintaining of high standards of nursing care and maintain, review, and improve the quality of care.
- Ensure the safety of patients, staff, and visitors through compliance with Health and Safety requirements.
- Carry out risk assessments and prepare risk management plans in compliance with the hospital’s risk management procedures in collaboration with medical staff.
- Report accidents and incidents using the appropriate forms in a comprehensive and timely manner.
- Take charge of the nursing service on a regular basis in the absence of the Head Nurse.
- Promote effective treatment of patients through the safe management and administration of medication including stock auditing and ordering, and the administration of medications being used for detoxification purposes.
- Monitor and observe patients who are undergoing detoxification and promptly report any concerns to the doctor on duty.
- Supervise and direct junior staff in accordance with the hospital’s written policies and procedures.
- Ensure a high standard of communication at nursing shift handovers and ensure that comprehensive notes have been made in the nursing Kardex and on the electronic patient data record (KIPU).
- Carry out the nurse’s role in the admission of patients in compliance with the hospital’s admission procedure.
- Carry out the nurse’s role in discharge of patients in compliance with the hospital’s discharge procedures.
- Participate in and contribute to meetings of the multidisciplinary team.
- Ensure, in relation to the hospital’s confidentiality procedure, that all patient identifiable information is logged securely and cannot be viewed by third parties.
- Ensure that the conduct of staff is always of a high professional standard and report to the Lead Clinical Nurse if there are any concerns.
- Ensure that the care delivered is of a high standard and appropriate to the needs of the patients.
- Participate in the hospital’s supervision arrangements.
- Participate in CPD.
- Participate in the induction of new staff.
- Undertake such other duties as may be deemed necessary from time to time and directed by the Medical Director/Hospital Manager or Head Nurse.
- Health & Safety Officer duties for Castle Craig Hospital
Person Specification – Staff Nurse
- Registered Nurse: RGN/RMN/RN
- Previous working experience within a similar position
- Good interpersonal skills (our patients expect nurses to be caring, friendly, supportive, understanding and compassionate)
- Ability to maintain boundaries
- Experience of working with substance abuse
- Flexible concerning working shift patterns
- Flexible and used to working on own initiative
- Strong team skills
- To be person centred
- Ability to take responsibility for adopting best practice in the implementation of individual care plans
- Commitment to equal opportunities
- Ability and willingness to undergo further appropriate training
- Good oral/written communication skills
- Solid administrative skills
- Awareness of current Health and Safety Procedure
- Demonstrate commitment to the values of the company
- Clean driving license
- Good computer skills
- Educated to Degree level
Speculative Job Applications
We regularly update this page with roles across all our departments – including Medical, Therapeutic, Nursing, Administration, Catering and Domestic, so please make sure you regularly check back here.
If you feel you have the skills we need but don’t see a job advertised, then please email your CV and a cover letter through our online job application form detailing your experience and what you feel you can bring to Castle Craig, and we will get back to you if there is a position coming up.
We’re sorry that we can’t promise we’ll be able to respond to every submission, especially when it relates to positions which aren’t currently advertised.
Apply for a job
You can use our online job application form to send us your CV and to copy and paste a covering letter. Remember to indicate what job you are interested in and explain how you meet the criteria for this role – based on your experience skills and knowledge. Please also take time to explain why you are interested in the role and Castle Craig.
We would be grateful if you could include the following information:
- Current salary / remuneration package.
- Current notice period.
- Details of two referees (please note that the referees will not be contacted until the offer stage, and not without prior consent).
Applying from Europe & Abroad
Many of our staff come from Europe and countries outside the European Union. Successful applicants from overseas will receive a work permit as long as they are English speaking and have at least one grandparent born in the European Union.